Bob wrote:
It's not supposed to give a reflectance of "middle gray". It's supposed to
give the same reflectance as is average for undeveloped film emulsion.

///// Ooops, you are right. I forgot it.

Paint doesn't last well on high speed, fast winding curtains, especially
for
50,000 to 100,000 snaps. Further, maintaining the same gray from batch to
batch may be problematic. Further, obtaining a specific reflectance is
easier when you separate each and control their respective areas. I note
that gamma calibration of most monitors involves comparing some particular
shade of gray (or the primary colors for individual color gamma) with a
gray
composed of black and white (or dark gray and light gray) pixels. One
adjusts the gamma until both appear the same from a distance. The black and
white mixture is considered the _standard_.
Any comments?
////// Yes, simply that your explanation seems very reasonable to me.
Thanks

Albano