OK, please allow me to better explain my view. Please, try to get the point and don't stick to possible unproper words, due to my different mother tongue and my poor expression capabilities.

I wrote:

First, I agree that blown highlights can just be another way to show the right part of the histogram.

That's OK. Here I can think of a "scene histogram" (if I can call it that way), which is the "true" brightness distribution of the scene, irrespectively of sensor exposure latitude and camera settings. Let's say that the scene has its own and normal brighness distribution, so that a capable sensor in a well set camera could reproduce it properly. The picture histogram (which is what you get on the LCD) can (or cannot) match the scene histogram, depending on dynamic range and the set exposure. An overexposed picture will force a lot of scene details having different brightness levels to be reproduced as pixels with the same brightbness level (255, in a scale ranging from 0 to 255)

However, that's not always true: just think of a bright sky in a corner of a backlit building almost filling the picture: the histogram could well describe the light distribution within the backlit building and you'll be fooled by a perfect histogram missing the sky (far right, outside the histogram scale).

I'd rewrite it as follows:

Just think of a bright sky in a corner of a backlit building almost filling the picture: the histogram could well describe the light distribution within the backlit building and you'll be fooled by a good looking histogram hiding the poor rendition of the sky (whose brightness levels should be outside the histogram, on the right but are blown out, hence compressed on the right end of the scale)

In this case, you'll get some (not so many) pixels showing up stuck on the right side of the histogram, while they "should be" distributed outside it on the right, if only the picture histogram could be either widened (wider exposure latitude) or shifted to the right (exposure compensation). You can get more latidude by shooting RAW, or you can shift the histogram scale by compensating exposure, so that highlights having different brightness are properly reproduced as pixels having different brightness.

In my opinion, the blown highlights should be tuned for "whiter than white" (i.e. any level outside the histogram, on the right). This way, they would perfectly complement the histogram and you won't risk to forget a bright area whose brightness is far above a nice balance of shadow levels (depicted by the histogram you are tuning with exposure).

I'd rewrite it as follows:

In my opinion, the blown highlights should be tuned for "whiter than white" (i.e. any pixel having 255 brightness value, while its true level could be higher, hence outside the current histogram, on the right). This way, the blinking areas would perfectly complement the histogram and you won't risk to forget small bright areas whose brightness is far above a nice balance of large shadow areas (depicted by the histogram you are tuning with exposure).

Of course, all above is intended for getting a correct reproduction of brightness levels. The photographer can always choose not to do so for creative purposes.

Dario