Fred,

That 43/1.9 you sold me still has a whirring to it, but I don't mind.
My silver 77/1.8 is a lot quieter, but still has a bit of noise when focusing.
I bought a black 31/1.8 and it is quieter still, the quietest but
still some noise.
Then I splurged on a black 77, a little more noise, and then a black
43, still more...

On the whole, the blacks are without a notable whir, more like a drag
or very high pitched, quiet/constant meshing of gears.  Here's how
they rank...
Your silver 43 - 'whirring' like always
The silver 77 - modest noise, -1db, not a clicking or whirring but something
The black 43 - just a bit quieter than the 77 (-.5db?)
The black 77 - still quieter
The black 31 - quietest of the crew, probably -2db (did somebody say fine sand?)
Perhaps the blacks will develop more noise, but the 43 and 77 are just
out of the box.

So now I think I'm gonna sell the silvers, after I test the lenses
(damned Wheafield Willie has to go and say some are sharper than
others!)

Regards,  Bob