Takumar was Pentax's line of screw mount lenses.  These are top quality
lenses, most of which are still top performers by todays standards.  Many
of the SMC Takumars are optically identical to their K series counterparts,
such as the SMCT 85mm F1.8, SMCT 35mm F3.5, and SMCT 105mm F2.8 - to name a
few.  But since they are screw mount lenses, you can often get one at a
fraction of the price of the same K mount lens.

In the K mount era, for unknown reasons during the M, A, and F series
Pentax released a series of budget lenses called "Takumar" - these lenses
lack SMC, have a cheaper build, and in general stink compared to their SMC
counterparts.  They are a lot like the Cosmicar lenses, I even think some
of the zooms have the same optical formula.  I would generally avoid these
lenses, though many of them are equal performers to a lot of the
inexpensive third party lenses out there.

Todd