Hi,

I belive that if you are a beginner, prepare the camera for falls, i.e. have it cussioned and protcted in e.g. a backpack. In my expereince beginners can fall in any direction. I usually have the camreas there, even though not a beginner, learned to ski at the age of two, I tend to fall in any direction, depending of course on how aggresively one uses the skis. When doing photos of downhill skiing - use fast shutterspeed as skiers move quite fast. Add a +1 of exposure compensation since the snow might be greyish otherwise or meter directly of some neutral surface for correct exposure.

I've never broken a camera dong skiing but its quite possible to do if its unprotected and you crash. With precaution it should be OK.

If its cold, make sure you have fresh batteries as old ones run out of juice in cold weather.

Cheers,

Ronald

Toralf Lund wrote:

...wise or foolish? Discuss.

I'm going skiing for the first time at the end of February. [ ... ]

Does anybody have any experiences, hints and tips about Alpine-style
photography that they'd like to share, please?
I was sort of inspired to take a quick trip to the local hill when I read this, but apparently it was open only at daytime today...

Anyhow, I once tried skiing with my MESuper+M40 lens in my pocket, and it worked rather well, but I generally don't expect to fall very often, if you know what I mean. I ended up taking only one or two pictures at the time, and took my gloves off when I did the actual shots, as far as I recall. I can also operate the above mentioned camera if I keep them on, but only just (I tried right now.)

Maybe a backpack would be more ideal for carrying the camera. Like someone else said, that might be slightly hazardous if you were to fall on your back, but in my experience, landing on your side or ending up with the face buried deep in the snow is a lot more likely when skiing...

- T