Adam - I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the D.
However, I find the buffer/write speed irritating as well:
I did some 360-degree panoramas with a D70 user last Sunday - shooting
RAW's, of course.
He didn't have to wait between the shots at all. I had to wait between each
shots after number 5. That's a PITA, I must say!
I fact - all I really want to add in a new Pentax DSLR is  S  P  E  E  D!
AF speed
Write speed (and larger buffer).
FPS speed

Everything else is just fine.

Why can't you use a standard studio stobe outfit? I do it all the time.
Some flash units may require, that you reverse the polarity of the flash
cord though.
I must with our (old) Courney strobes - for instance - or I use a radio
trigger.
Revered cords are in fact availbale or they are very easy to make from an
ordenary one.

I recently used a brand new Elinchrome outfit (man, was that brilliant - and
exspensive).
No problems. Just plug-in and shoot away!

Regards
Jens Bladt
http://www.jensbladt.dk