The possible (partially just percieved) difference is
in a) ease of installation (some no-name drives can require some
extra steps), and
b) dependability of the recorded disks.

I don't have data, but I am ready to bet that the amount of jitter
(for those who doesn't know what it is, - essentially, "noise" on the media) -
is different for different drives.
While it might not matter for a freshly recorded disk,
after some time one might see problems
while reading from cheap disks. Some amount of decay (caused
by not-completely-proper conditions) combined with  the jitter
may result in data loss.
So, by paying a bit higher $$ for the brand name you may be buying
a peace of mind, an insurance ...
.. or not, as sometimes even an insurance police might not gurantee
protection.

If all you need is to move files from one computer to another
via a DVD disk, - then all this doesn't matter.

Igor

Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:37:58 -0800