I am considering purchasing a zoom lens.  I know, I know, what on earth for?
I have always been a prime user and suspect I will continue that.  I am
looking at building up a smaller, lighter travel kit and the zooms I have
used to date have been disappointing.  From a feature perspective, I am
looking for a fast (2.8), AF, medium range zoom (28-70 ish).  Just something
that can be on the camera and ready without having to fumble in the bag.  I
am concerned however, with optical quality.  I already have a Tamron 28-80
f:3.5-5.6 that is nothing to write home about.  Later, I picked up the
Tokina 28-105 f:3.5-4.5 and haven't been any happier with it.  With both of
these I keep going back to the 43 Limited or FA 85 and fumbling.  Are there
any zooms out there that I should consider?  The only choices seem to be
Tokina 28-70 or 80 ATX-Pro, Sigma 28-70 f:2.8 EX or the Pentax 28-70 f:2.8
(really pricey).  Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Bruce Dayton
Sacramento, CA