Memory upgrades never run faster than the original.  Nor is it possible
to expand memory beyond the system limitations of the memory bus.
I doubt if it's even theoretically possible to increase the memory
capacity, let alone the write speed, without replacing so much of
the original electronics it would be easier to replace the camera.

Depends on how over built the bus is to begin with. Radio Shack, had a product called the color computer, it had a base memory of 8k officially upgradeable to 16k. The system bus could handle a great deal more, there was a whole cottage industry in souping those damned things up, not to mention the hobbyists who crammed so much memory into some of them that the covers wouldn't close. (I was working in a RS Computer center and there was always some local genius/lunatic who wanted to regale us with tails of how much extra ram he had in his CoCo). One guy was using the necessary gap in the case for auxiliary cooling, it probably needed it.

John Francis wrote:

If it were designed that way, I doubt it could be done to an existing camera without major surgery, and resulting disfigurement.

Jens Bladt wrote:

I agree, actually - it would be very usefull. Wouldn't it be possible to add
a larger buffer to an existing camera??
Like a "power grip" or booster!
Regards
Jens
Yeah, there's a thought. Let the camera be designed with a user-accessible module containing the buffer memory, and let the end user be able to upgrade the buffer memory at a later date. People upgrade the memory in their computers, why not in their cameras?

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).