On Jan 18, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Don Sanderson wrote:
Bogen 3001, Light but very sturdy, one of the least expensive
full height tripods.

Bogen 3021 BPRO, Heavier, sturdier, center column can be
mounted horizontally (Very handy), a bit more expensive.

Those were the two tripods that came to mind first as recommendation for me too. Both are sturdy and reasonably light to carry. They can be had complete with a good ball head or a three way head .. I prefer the 322RC2 ball head for speed in setup. For a good tripod, expect to spend $150-250 minimum.

A tripod is not just for low light, long exposure time use. This is a full resolution photo made with a Panasonic FZ10, 4mpixel camera mounted on a Manfrotto 3444D with 322RC2 head ...

web size:
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/IoM-4/

full rez, no post processing:
http://homepage.mac.com/ramarren/IoM-4/PoA-lighthouse-0730usFR.jpg

Regardless of high shutter speed and image stabilization, I could not get as sharp an image without the tripod. Your sharpest lens is a good tripod.

Godfrey