On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:25:25AM -0800, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> I don't understand the point of what you're doing.  It would be simpler to
> have a panorama that one could scroll through, left to right. It seems like
> an exercise in technology more than anything else.  Speaking for myself,
> the viewing experience is awful and not at all satisfying.
>
> This thing that you've done takes forever to download on a dialup
> connection, requires plugins that, obviously, some people don't have, or
> which are not up to date, plus, Java dumps a bunch of hidden files onto the
> user's computer.  Most people may not know that, and some may not want that
> (I certainly don't) for any number of reasons.  I know where they are and
> clean out the files every now and then, but others may not have that
> knowledge.

It's worse than that - if you have other Javascript applications loaded
(such as, for example, the rather nice Yahoo! widgets photoframe)
then you get terrible visual artifacts - the panorama window flashes
on and off, alternating with your other Javascript-driven display.

I find this to be even more annoying (and rather worse design) than
any of the ghastly flash-driven websites people often complain of.

I agree with Shel - it's technology for its own sake.  And not only
that - it's not even all that good from a technological standpoint.