In a message dated 1/31/2006 1:53:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Butch, it all depends on whether you can get XP drivers for the peripheral.
When I upgraded my desktop to XP Pro, I had to move my flatbed scanner to
another PC as the manufacturer would not provide a driver.
http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/  is a good site for a starting point to
obtain drivers, particularly for second-hand stuff where the maker no longer
is interested!

HTH

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia
==========
Yes, go to the web site of the manufacturer, in this case Epson, and see if
they have updated the driver for XP.

I have an old flatbed HP scanner that really hung me up when I first upgraded
to XP. I had to unhook it and delete the driver. Then I ordered a new driver
from HP. For some reason, at that time, I had to order a CD. Now it works
fine. (It's a good document scanner.)

I upgraded ME to XP on the same machine, not a clean install, and at first I
thought I had blown it. That the upgrade wouldn't work at all. Nope, it was
just the scanner. But to figure that out, I sure had to do a lot of googling and
searching around. (I had to roll back the install while I did all that too,
took better part of a week.)

HTH, Marnie aka Doe

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went to Epson's site and they have a recent driver (4-5 months) for XP, so I think I'm going to do it. The expression series was their pro series IIRC so it should be well built and have decent controls. Does anyone have experience with the Expression 800?

Butch