Bob B. wrote:

> Saying that the "professional" is in the camera is like saying the artist is
> in the brush, the cartoonist is in the pencil, the writer is in the word
> processor. It ~is not~ the camera. It is the eye and the mind behind the
> camera. In the case of the professional, it's an eye for capturing what
> someone else wants. If it's an eye is to capture what you want, you are an
> artist. If both coincide, you are happy in your job.

I just think this is romantic bunk. We're going to have to agree to
disagree, I guess. I knew a studio pro who hated 28's. He had to buy one
anyway for those times when an A.D. would say, "Let's see that with a 28."
You just really don't have a choice when it comes to these issues.

A pro once told a story about shooting hundreds of wristwatches. The repro
was going to be tiny, at most 2" high in the catalog. The client wanted 8x10
chromes. The pro tried to sell the agency on medium format. No sale--the
client demanded 8x10 chromes. The client was willing to pay for 8x10
chromes. The client got 8x10 chromes.

The agency was going to get what their client wanted them to get.

Let's imagine for a second the pro saying to the agency, "I'm going to shoot
this job with my Hasselblad, and that's that. What's important is the eye
and the mind behind the camera, anyway."

Result: agency goes elsewhere, studio loses lucrative job.

Get _real_, man!

> There is a young fellow who frequents my favorite coffee shop. He recently
> obtained a job at Disney Land just down the street. They handed him a Kodak
> digital camera, put him through a one week course and turned him loose in
> the streets of Disney Land. Tourists pay money to have their pictures taken
> with Mickey, Goofy, Donald and such. He's a professional photographer.

Bull he is. No way, shape, or form. He's a camera operator. This is in fact
a perfect COUNTEREXAMPLE to your point.

> A young photographer from "The Orange County Register" (Large daily rag
> out here) came to the building where I work to shoot the owner of one of the
> small business tenants. He had a Canon slung about his shoulder and a small
> bag in one hand. I quipped, "Ah, Canon, the choice of paparazzi everywhere!"
> He sheepishly said, "Yeah." From curiosity I asked, "Why'd you choose
> Canon?". His answer..."That's what they give me. I think they have some kind
> of contract."

Right, and try working for that paper and telling them you're sorry, you
prefer to shoot everything with your Nikon, and it's not the camera, it's
all in the eye of the photographer. You'd be hitting the bricks, Bob.

Like I say, we just disagree about this. And now I *really* gotta get
packed.

--Mike