Fra: Christian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 3. februar 2006 15:58
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: OT: NYT article on Digital Cameras (PMA)

Tom C wrote:

> Pentax was also slow out the gate, but not as slow.  Now though, they
> are slow in introducing an upgrade path to the *ist D.  This can't be
> gaining them customers.

Pentax is not trying to "keep" customers with an "upgrade" path.  They
seem more inclined to gain new entry level customers instead.  Nothing
wrong with that if they can get their name (or Samsung's name) out there
as a competitor for good, compact, DSLRs suitable for your typical
entry-level enthusiast (see also: P&S user wanting less shutter lag to
take pictures of his/her kid playing sport or average person
contemplating EVF type P&S).

However, once they gain these new DSLR users, they will have to come up
with some way to keep them wanting more.  some of these entry-level
photogs will want more feature rich, (yes higher MP; even if it is a
numbers game) DSLR as their experience grows.  This is what I'm
interested in seeing.  How/what is Pentax going to do?

It almost seems that the original *ist D was thrown out there to shut us
up.  After all it was the feature-equivalent competitor of the then
advanced amateur level camera like the D100 and 10D.  Problem is they
haven't given us a D200 or 20D competitor (granted the D200 was a late
successor to the D100).

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net