Don,

The flash on the microscope may have too high a voltage for the ist D. Once it flashes it may be locking up the camera. Try measuring the voltage or disconnecting the flash flash after each exposure. You may not want to keep doing this too often in case it permanently damages the camera.

A solution to this could be using a slave unit on the microscope and triggering it with the Vivitar flash.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Don Williams wrote:
Hi all,

I'm still waiting for the replacement camera and am using the one with the faulty internal flash. It works with an external flash Vivitar 730 AFPK perfectly ... but.

On the microscope, which has a simple flash device with no synchronization, or TTL, or anything at all automatic ... the flash will flash once and then not again. Its not a question of charge the flash is made to strobe and will go on flashing with a film camera until the cows come home at 1/2 second intervals.

What am I doing wrong? I haven't spent much time learning -- I've been using the camera and it works fine with ordinary lighting on the scopes. In green, M, or any other setting I might like to use. All I want is for the flash to flash each time the shutter is opened. The exposure is controlled by other means and the camera is not expected to think about this.

Don