Don,

TTL will work with the extension cable if you can convince the camera that the microscope is a lens with the aperture set to A. I bought a 12mm extension tube with contacts and modified it slightly so that it always shows as being an A lens set to A. You just have to make sure that the aperture on the camera is set to wide open or you start to over expose.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Don Williams wrote:
Hi Leon,

The beam splitter is not to divide the flash beam, but to allow the flash to enter the normal light path from the microscope's Halogen or HBO50 light source. I often turn down the internal light, or shut it off, before using the flash. But this is not necessary at high magnification when the light is not very bright and the flash is the main contributor to the exposure. The beam splitter is a piece of glass. I have considered a 50% surface coated (interference) filter, but they are damned expensive. The flashes usually have enough punch to make plain glass usable. If TTL works with the extension cord I won't have a thing to worry about.

Don W

Leon Altoff wrote:
Hi Don,

If you are going to use a beam splitter to send light out the objective to light the subject then I would consider getting hold of an AF360FGZ and modifying it to work. The tube in the 360 is slightly shorter from memory - it's been a while since I had mine apart that far. I spliced a second head at the end of about a foot of cable onto one of my 360's to make a lightweight twin headed macro flash. The second head can be unplugged and the flash then works as a normal flash.

I would consider using the wireless trigger on the flash as it's one less cable floating around. Otherwise you will need to use a 5P cable.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Don Williams wrote:
Hi Leon,

The flash, which is made from a Polaroid unit and a single straight flash tube about 50mm long, works very well as a flash. But the tube, which lies across the beam, causes diffraction in the images. In other words it doesn't work very well in the microscope. I intend to use a beam splitter and direct light from a standard flash into the path. I may even be able to use TTL if I can find a connector that will satisfy the camera. So the problem now becomes -- "How can I trigger the Vivitar on the table about 24" away from the camera and what extension lead do I need?" The camera is on the top of a monocular mount behind the binocular and using one flash to trigger another would be very dangerous and unstable. I can imagine the camera up on top of this 'Xmas Tree' with a flash in the shoe. Something would give very soon. It would get in the way of my head in any case.

Don

Leon Altoff wrote:
Don,

The flash on the microscope may have too high a voltage for the ist D. Once it flashes it may be locking up the camera. Try measuring the voltage or disconnecting the flash flash after each exposure. You may not want to keep doing this too often in case it permanently damages the camera.

A solution to this could be using a slave unit on the microscope and triggering it with the Vivitar flash.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

Don Williams wrote:
Hi all,

I'm still waiting for the replacement camera and am using the one with the faulty internal flash. It works with an external flash Vivitar 730 AFPK perfectly ... but.

On the microscope, which has a simple flash device with no synchronization, or TTL, or anything at all automatic ... the flash will flash once and then not again. Its not a question of charge the flash is made to strobe and will go on flashing with a film camera until the cows come home at 1/2 second intervals.

What am I doing wrong? I haven't spent much time learning -- I've been using the camera and it works fine with ordinary lighting on the scopes. In green, M, or any other setting I might like to use. All I want is for the flash to flash each time the shutter is opened. The exposure is controlled by other means and the camera is not expected to think about this.

Don