Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Speaking of Epson printers and B&W printing, I ran across this product recently:

BowHaus: InkJet Controlâ„¢ and OpenPrintMakerâ„¢
<http://www.bowhaus.com/services/IJCOPMmain.php4>

Has anyone tried these products? They're not cheap, but if they substantively improve B&W print quality with the Epson R2400 and R4800, it might be worth it.

Godfrey

Godfrey,

I hang around on the Digital B&W Printing group over on Yahoo. Over there, the general consensus is that a RIP makes a great deal of difference on the older Epsons, but not on the R2400 and 4800/7800/9800 with the Advanced B&W driver option and the K3 inkset. A RIP is of course useful if you wish to use a 3rd party inkset.

Most folks are using QuadToneRIP or Imageprint with the PhatteBlack setup if they are using a RIP. The former is extremely inexpensive (free to try and $50 to buy, no restrictions on the try) and quite good for B&W work.

-Adam