Bob W wrote:

Yeah, I've seen it mainly (as a big humorous thing) in British TV shows (exports). Monty Python, Barney Hill, that one where they all work in a department store, etc.

I figure the British are really uptight about sex and/or have very strict gender roles.
Or both.

Probably due to all those public schools. Or something like that.

we're just a bunch of sad old pervs. We've never been uptight (so to speak)
about sex. Hypocritical, yes, but we're quite well-known internationally for
our many varied and interesting vices.

You should visit - I'm sure we could find someone to put you straight...

Actually, Marnie put me straight recently. Which, considering we are half a planet apart, is a pretty impressive performance.