> 2. Specular highlights tend to flare. I first noticed this in chrome
> trim on a car. I can point to pictures to demonstrate. Probably due to
> the large number of glass elements in the lens.

There are ~so~ many glass to air surfaces in one of these that it's a
little more likely to flare than a more "sensible" prime lens.  (The A
28-135/4 is similar in this regard, I'd say.)

I even have a specular highlight starburst on a whale while using an A
35-105/3.5 - http://plg.komkon.org/a35-105_35/fl1.html .  Ordinarily, I
wouldn't be using such a lens for shooting whales, but I had just gotten
the lens and was anxious to try it out, and I did have to work that day
(whale watching), and I did have a very cooperative whale on one  trip that
day at a time that I happened to have that lens on one of the two bodies I
was using.

Fred