In a message dated 2/7/2006 1:19:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
With all respect, Marnie; any group who find themselves being the
subjects of jokes may take the same stance.

I think women have the advantage of a better defined sex role, and a
better outlook on how they want it to develop for the future. IMHO,
the male role nowadays is mostly defined by what women want it to be,
or by a futile resistance against change called for by the changing
female role. I think this holds a good potential for humour, even as a
man. :-)

I also remember "Tootsie" as a very funny, American, film. If that
makes me sexist, then with apologies, let it so be. :-)

best,
Jostein
=======
Not saying we don't do it at all. There was also a TV show long, long ago
with Tom Hanks called Bosom Buddies. It just doesn't seem to be a major part of
US humor.

Good pts, Jostein. About changing male roles. That seems the best explanation
in some cases. Not all, but some. :-)

And, BTW, Keith, I haven't heard the Lumberjack song, so maybe you are right
that it is more a riff on macho macho man (the movie In and Out with Kevin
Kline did it too).

Also all the Brit shows I mentioned are pretty old, Monty Python, Benny Hill.
Maybe British humor has changed a bit.

Ditto, Jostein, you're right, any group being made fun of may completely fail
to see the humor. I think that was partly my point, actually. Who is being
made fun of? Really?

But, yeah, some could be poking fun at machoism.

Later, Marnie aka Doe :-)