Not only that, but I've seen old grease separate in the container.
It kinda turns into oil and a more viscous grease.  If something like
that is used in cameras or lenses (I'm not sure it is), it would really
gum up the works with age.

-Lon

Jostein wrote:

The remedy is almost certainly relubrication.

Greases change properties over time and become harder. In addition, they can accumulate particles, both from the environment and wear on the mechanical parts. Most such particles will be more partial to moisture than the grease itself, and thus impact the low-temperature performance.