Hmm. You might want to read some of John Gray's books. He torches the
comfortable idea that we are on an irresistible path towards liberal
democracy. Unfortunately.

For example: "The chief tenet of the Enlightenment is that the growth of
knowledge is the key to human emancipation. No true believer in the
Enlightenment would ever question that article of faith. Yet faith in
progress through the growth of knowledge is itself irrational."

It should be clear to most people these days that most of the world despises
the ideas of the Enlightenment, and they will quite happily burn us all at
the stake to make us believe their nonsense. Unless we are very careful
indeed, we will soon enter a new age of endarkenment.

Bob