On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:24 AM, William Robb wrote:

Well, personally, I am against child labor.

And people making 50 cents a day. And having to live next to toxic waste.

Those types of things only changed in the US with a labor movement. The bottom line of capitalism, which has good points, but also bad points, is profit. And usually companies have to be kicked to insure worker's rights because they
feel it cuts into profits.

And now companies are moving their factories offshore, in part to take advantage of all the things listed above that are still allowed overseas.

I'm not an economist, and I never played one on TV. But it seems like very basic economics to me that if all the good jobs are outsourced overseas and all Americans end up in "service" jobs, there won't be anybody left to buy all the goods produced overseas by those outsourced jobs.

Next door to me is a very small house. It has room for one couple with few possessions. There are three young women living there as room mates, and their boyfriends sleep over some of the time. All three work for Wal-Mart and just barely get by. They pool their resources to pay the rent, electric and heat, and have next to nothing left over after that. Health insurance? You gotta be kidding.

Don't look now, but the "American dream" died some time ago. Most people just haven't realized it yet.

Bob