On Feb 13, 2006, at 1:09 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I really like the 28 focal length on the istD and have started to look at the FA 28($429) and the FA 31 Ltd ($1400.00) Is the 3mm worth the extra bucks. I have never tried or looked through one, so i have no idea. I know Mark,Bill and others have such lenses, so , i'm just curious.

IMSMC the FA 28 f 2.8 does a decent job, correct.??

3mm at this focal length with the DSLRs isn't the difference that makes one over the other for me.

I had the FA31 and found it big and heavy, the fixed lens hood and cap are awkward too. It's an excellent performer overall. I decided I would likely not use it much due to the size so I sold it.

I replaced it with the FA35/2: I find the differences to be insignificant in terms of performance, and 1/3 the price coupled with 2/3 the weight and bulk make a significant difference to me. I suspect the same would be true of the FA28/2.8 AL, although the difference in maximum aperture is a stop greater.

Between 28mm and 35mm is a hard call for me. Ideally I'd like to have both lenses as this is my most used focal length range on the *ist DS, but I chose the FA20-35/4 to cover the range well and take the FA35/2 for when I need more speed.

If you really like the 28mm focal length, go for it.

Godfrey