On Feb 13, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Jens Bladt wrote:

It is perhaps true, that more exposure reduces the noice - I never thought
of that - didn't know.

Rather, underexposure increases noise. Your shots are slightly underexposed.

Overexposing in order to reduce noise, will still require even longer
speeds, thus more ISO!

Do some testing. I think you'll find that similar subjects with a +0.3-0.7EV exposure gain will net better results and not cost you terribly on exposure time. Remember, when you're working RAW, you want to get your exposure as close to the saturation limit as possible without losing details in the highlight areas that are important. That gives the best data to render shadow values smoothly.

But I frequently have to use Neat Image to try to restore photographs made
at ISO 3200.
I would like not to have to.

I almost never even use the noise reduction in Camera Raw other than at its default settings, even with ISO 3200, and I don't feel that my prints are unacceptably noisy for professional presentation prints.

I still want lower noice from the next generation of Petntax DSLR's - which
was what we were originally discussing.

Lower noise is nearly always a good thing, just like less grain. Not always, but nearly always.

Godfrey