Tom C wrote:

I may be one of the few that bought my *ist D, sight unseen. I tried to see it at one of the "big" photo magazine advertisers in New Jersey in Jan 2004, and they were going to have to "get one from their warehouse" and it would be available to see and touch and hold on Monday. As I drove 80 miles RT to see it, I just ordered one from Willoughby's at the time. That taught me a little lesson that some of these big advertisers are just paper/web store fronts.

I was luckier than you -- I drove about 80 miles one way to buy my *istD, but the store I was going to actually had it in stock for me to see before purchasing.
Same thing I had to go through a year earlier for the Optio 550.