On 17 Feb 2006 at 20:54, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> I was amazed to see how well perspective errors can be handled with
> simple PhotoShop operations. I only tried them after reading your
> comments here. What a joy it was to see for myself how simple and
> intuitive these tools are.

There are a lot of options for remapping images now each with ever increasing
scope. I primarily use a free-ware application called Hugin to implement all my
distortion transformations now, it's extremely accurate and very flexible (much
more so than PS and you know how well that works).

Just to cite an example when the link for the new fisheye zoom demo pics was
posted a week or so ago I transformed some of the images to see how well they
might work for me, see the following links (btw these are not my images so
apologize to the author). The image bellow was transformed in a single
transformation which took only a matter of seconds after some critical control
points were selected. Both images have been reduced in size by half and the
original image was also converted from Adobe RGB to sRGB color space:

Original http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~distudio/temp/6Fisheye10mm_Hbf2_50pc.jpg
(~400kB)

Transformed http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~distudio/temp/test_50pc.jpg (~370kB)

Granted it's an extreme example but it's a good one none the less, I'm betting
that I would have been able to do a much better job had I been able to work
directly with the RAW file too :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998