Bob Shell wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 8:47 AM, Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:

Not necessarily a totally new shutter.  The shutter might be limited
to 1/60 or so for top speed.  Faster speeds would be attained by
switching the sensor chip on and off, as is already done in most DSLR
cameras.

Not all, just some - like Nikon D70 or Canon 1D.

I did not say all, I said most. I don't know about Pentax, but in Nikon the D100 and D200 do this, and in Canon the 10D, 20D, 5D, and presumably the new 30D. This "feature" is not always documented in the tech specs, but I have been told by tech experts at Nikon and Canon that this is the case in these cameras. It is the most practical way to achieve high "shutter speeds" in DSLR cameras. I'd bet that Pentax is getting 1/4000 this way, since the existing 645 shutter is not capable of that and the camera doesn't look large enough to house a metal blade shutter as used by Mamiya and Contax.

Bob

Bob, are you sure about that? I know the Nikon D1's do this, as does the D50 and D70(s). As far as I'm aware the D100, D200 and all the D2's do not. The way to tell is the flash sync (The 1/500 sync cameras use hybrid shutters, 1/250 and below do not, relying on mechanical sync).

The current Canon's don't do this, which can be confirmed by simply listening to the shutter. Pentax and KM also do not (The sensor in the Pentax, KM and D100 do not support this, the modified version of this sensor in the D70 and D50 does).

But I do agree that the 645D is quite probably using a hybrid shutter.

-Adam