I second what Godfrey wrote.

Just recently I purchased a very inexpensive 8-in-1 card reader that seems
to provide adequate speed for SD cards: ($12.99 at buy.com)
Hawking's Card Reader, 8-IN-1 USB 2.0 CARD READER - HCR8U2

For just SD cards, I am rather happy with
 IOGear -GFR202SDW6
http://www.buy.com/prod/IOGear_GFR202SDW6_Hi_Speed_USB_2_0_Memory_Card_Reader_Wr
iter_for_SD/q/loc/101/202004750.html
($11.99, also on buy.com)

I haven't done comprehensive tests, but both seem to provide full read/write
speed for 60x cards (i.e. the readers do not seem to constitute the bottle
neck).

Igor