Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

On Feb 28, 2006, at 9:11 AM, Ryan Brooks wrote:

Look up its specs on the web ... based on the name you provided, it might be the Olympus MAUSB-5W unit at this page:
  http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/198_MAUSB-5W.htm

That's a USB 1.1 spec device. USB 1.1 is not particularly useful with the data volumes involved when you're using high resolution cameras and RAW format files, where 1G storage cards are the baseline. USB 1.1 is approximately 30-40x slower than USB 2.0 ...

FYI- I'm using a Lexar "Firewire CompactFlash Reader"and for whatever reason, I find it to be faster than USB2.0 readers by a substantial amount. Even Lexar's own USB reader, which looks almost identical, is slower.

I have one too. I don't find it to be faster by a "substantial" amount, but it is faster. The difference is between just under 3 minutes for a 1G card with USB 2.0 to just under 2.5 minutes with the FireWire reader.

I'm doing 4G downloads most of the time, which makes a big difference for me.

-Ryan