Fra: John Francis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 1. marts 2006 00:00
Til: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Emne: Re: Re: Some more new camera speculation

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:51:21AM +1000, Rob Studdert wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2006 at 13:11, John Francis wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  So if the power contacts come back, presumably we would
> > get at least one more digital signal pin to control the in-lens
> > features (including, but not necessarily limited to, USM motors).
>
> The two pins could easily deliver power and I/O
>
> > Additionally both the new body and the new lenses would have to
> > include the old AF system as well, or we lose compatibility.
>
> I don't know why they didn't just dump the mount with the first digital
body
> rather than lead us on like they have. It's now obvious what direction
they are
> heading and compatibility with older lenses isn't high on their agenda.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.   Some people are just pissed that their 25-year-old
lenses need a whole extra press of a button to work on the new cameras.

Nobody has been "leading you on", except perhaps a few people here who
still cling to the belief (or, IMO, delusion) that Pentax would decide
to re-introduce a mechanical aperture sensor, or go back to aperture
rings on lenses.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to find that the new lenses don't even
use a mechanical aperture actuator, but have in-lens motors for that.

But, unlike you, I beleve that Pentax *do* have backwards compatibility
fairly high on their agenda, and I expect pretty much what we have now;
F and FA lenses work for everything, and A lenses work in manual focus.
You'll have to leave the lenses in the "A" setting, of course, and use
the aperture setting control on the body.  But I expect there to be a
mechanical aperture actuator for those old lenses, even if the new ones
use a totally-electronic mount.  As for those older lenses - there's a
green button on the new body, and I expect it to work just like the D.
If, as anticipated, the new body does include shake reduction, then I
even expect there will be some way to use that with "A" lenses.

Let's face it - if Pentax don't have decent compatibility with their
old lenses, then why would anybody buy their new high-end camera,
instead of a D200 (or a 30D)?   The same argument goes, to a lesser
extent,for new lenses - if the forthcoming DA f2.8 zooms don't work
on my 'D (or DS, or DL ...) they look less attractive to me.

With the announcement of the new body, and a lens roadmap that shows
those new f2.8 zooms arriving shortly afterwards,  I feel a lot more
confident about Pentax now than I did three months ago.