Cesar wrote:
http://groups.msn.com/MyRugbyPictures/misc.msnw? action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=42 This is a 1950 Leica IIIf with a 1950 Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Summitar f=5cm 1:2.

1950 ... a black dial IIIf. Very sweet old camera. Enjoy it!

I bought a pair of these cameras, a IIf and IIc with Elmar 3.5cm and 5.0cm f/3.5 lenses, from Olden Camera in 1969 for $99, used them until about 1985 or so when the last one was lost over the Pacific. They were delightful old cameras. I inherited my father's IIIf kit too, but ultimately sold it to a collector as I didn't want to see it become worn with use (he treated it as a sacred object: it was as immaculate in 1982 as it was in 1953).

He asked if I was a photographer and then asked if the camera around my neck was a Leica. He also asked if I was there for PMA. He smiled wished me a good day and then went away smiling. Would this have happened with only a Pentax around my neck? How about a Nikon or Canon?

Sometimes. I've had people go away smiling when I carried an old Nikon F or Canon FTb too.

Godfrey