I very much appreciate Bob and Ken and their well-informed posts.
Much of the information Bob gives was pretty well known at the
time (albeit not officially confirmed directly from Pentax), so
I'm not sure why there are so many alternative "explanations"
for the MZ-D never making it to the store shelves.

What follows is pure speculation on my part. I have absolutely
no facts to support this hypothesis - seekers after truth should
quit now.

Because the lead time (the length of time between commencing
the initial design step and the product showing up on shelves)
is so long, and the demand for constant 'improvement' is high,
it's common for companies to have multiple independent design
teams.  And what I've seen come out of Pentax in the last few
years leads me to believe that they operated the same way.  Not
only that - some of their design teams have differing views on
how things should be done.  Without strong company guidance
this often shows up in the final products.  To me, the Pentax
product line shows all the signs of this.  On the one hand we
had the MZ series of cameras; as close to the traditional old
cameras we all knew as was possible while still incorporating
all the modern features.  On the other side was the PZ range;
cameras designed to offer all the new abilities, methods of
control, etc. that were to be found on competing products (not
to mention some unique features - not all of which, in hindsight
seem all that well-concieved).  Long-time list members will,
no doubt, remember the speculation as to whether Pentax would
ever release a fully-featured film body (whether or not the
MZ-S merits this description is a separate discussion), and if
so whether we would see an MZ-x or a PZ-2.

At the time Pentax first considered stepping into the digital
marketplace, the MZ design team were the ones available to take
on the task of designing the camera.  As a result, we (almost)
saw something very close to the MZ-S.  It was a bold design,
and if it had been successful it would quite probably have put
Pentax in a strong position in the overall DSLR market. But
the gamble didn't pay off, and Pentax had to abandon the project.

By the time it next became feasible for Pentax to consider a
DSLR (though, I'd guess, with a somewhat smaller design budget)
the PZ design team were the ones who got the job.  As a result
we got a camera that was ergonomically very close to the PZ-1p.
I suspect Pentax may even have decided they could no longer
afford two fully-independent design teams, or at the very least
had decreed that designs had to show far more commonality.
If that is the case, I think Pentax are doing the right thing;
I've worked at several places where independent design teams
were allowed to be truly independent, and it has usually
turned out to be a bad idea in the long term.