Many folks suppose that WWII thing, Bill, but the information I have seen on it says differently. That 600 series film size was introduced long before the war and had the wood core from the start. I imagine it was a economic issue, prior to WWII wood was so cheap that most shipping containers were made of it. I remember orange crates (around up into the earily 50's) is that old or what?

Come to think of it, still around when I was a kid: steam locamotives, Street cars, orange crates, Great Lakes freighters, local ammusment parks, flat-head engines, propeller airliners, etc. All those things were pretty much gone by 1960. And many of the things we take for granted now did not exist. And I am not even old, quite yet.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "graywolf"
Subject: Re: Why is 35mm film sometimes called 135?

Yes, up into at least the early to mid-1950's. Because that is what I was shooting and developing as a kid. I am not sure when they changed over to plastic cores.

I had a wood spool 620 film come into my B&W lab one time. I managed to salvage images off the film, even though it had been stored in a basement for about 40 years. I was able to date the film to the late fourties, based on a licence plate on a car. I believe they went to metal spools for a while, and then plastic. I expect the wood spools were related to the war effort when anything metal was being made into planes and bombs and the like.

William Robb