I guess we'll agree to disagree.

For me the biggest disadvantage of a range finder is you don't "see" what you ultimately get until you get the processed film back.

YMMV

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: Re: OT: Photographic enablement but not Pentax.

Transparency is, admittedly, a vague term.  To me it means that there's an
unconstrained way of seeing.  The Leica lends itself better to shooting
with both eyes open than an SLR (right eye in the finder, left eye
observing the surrounding scene), and being able to see outside the frame
is also very freeing and lends to the transparent feeling.

I never "insisted" that a rangefinder is better for it's ultimate usage,
but I will state, categorically, that for me, and for many other
photographers, there is a strong preference for using a rangefinder for
certain types of photography.  Just because the 35mm SLR format is most
popular doesn't mean it's the best choice in all circumstances.

Shel