Depends on the size of the bird, I would think. I was taking fullframe
photos of a belted kingfisher (about the size of a small crow) this
morning with an M400, and would have been able to move in much closer
if I had wanted to scare the bird into flight. On the other hand, the
heron I was trying to take a photo of wouldn't fit on the frame unless
I backed away respectfully to around 15-20 metres (the lens focuses
down to 5m which some birds won't like at all)