Tim,

Technically, it does make you a bad Ebayer because, unless you get
permission from the seller, you're violating the conditions of the
auction if you ask for shipping to somewhere excluded in the listing.
>From a seller's point of view, shipping to a third party is risky
as well, since fraud perpetrators may play games of this sort with
third party payments and/or shipping and either pay via a fraudulent
account, forged cashier's check, or hacked Paypal account.

I'm not saying by any means that you're intending to perpetrate a fraud,
but it can be very hard for a seller to detect the difference between
a legitimate buyer and a fraudulent person.

Finally, if the seller doesn't respond, I think you should assume that
he/she does not want you to bid.  If you're really desperate for
the item, maybe you can arrange with a friend in the U.S. to actually
bid and receive the item, then ship it to you.

Things used to be a lot more relaxed, say, 6 or 7 years ago, but too
many cheaters have figured out that they can get things for free
from sellers who aren't defensive enough.

--Mark