[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Best way to calibrate for "sunny 16" is
> camera on manual-centre weight, set
> the lens at f/16 (ISO 100) point the lens
> at a ~clear~ patch of the bluest part of
> the sky, usually away from the sun.

While this is an OK method if you don't care for or need precise
exposure, it's far from accurate, as the "bluest" part of the sky
varies at different times of the day and in different parts of the
world.  I suppose it's fine if one lives in Zawadiland <g> but it may
not be very good for those of use in Belinkovia.

> FYI: 50 mm is one of the worst lenses to
> calibrate for sunny 16 in that it is
> too short (wide) and takes in too much
> sky to be accurate. *Use your 200/300mm
> tele or 70-200 zoom at 200 mm (manual).

And if one doesn't have these lenses?

> *If you get 1/60th sec (one stop over)
> or 1/250th sec (one stop under) you
> have to dial in the difference with the
> aperture or film speed indicator or
> by camera body compensation.

Or, depending on circumstances, 1/60 or 1/250 could be correct.

> If over or under, get your camera CLAed. But meanwhile, leave it compensated
> and shoot your heart out.

Before playing around with all these "tricks" one must have the
camera/meter properly calibrated.  Anyone that points their camera at
the sky and the shoots their heart out deserves all the poorly exposed
negatives or slides that they may get.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]