--- Nenad Djurdjevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alexander Krohe wrote:
>
> > The LX measures light in two different ways:
> > -- For the viewfinder indication, the LX measures
> the
> > light that is reflected from a secondary mirror
> onto
> > the metering cell (this value is stored in the
> camera
> > CPU).
>
> I read that only 15% of the light passes to the
> metering cell when the
> mirror is down which is why the LX metering cannot
> be as accurate in manual
> mode as in auto.  This is probably why Pentax
> decided not to fit AE lock and
> spot meter functions.
>
> Nenad

True, its only about 15% of the light. This may be a
bit dark for measuring a 1-2% spot area.

I was told by a Pentax rep. that they skipped the AE
lock because the the exposure value (used in automatic
mode) is not stored by the camera CPU.

BTW the light reflected from the film plane is also
only about 15%, so it's the same amount of light that
is measured in auto and manual mode. Yet, the light
meter is *very* accurate in both modes, but may yield
different values because it meters the brightness of
different surfaces in auto and manual ...
Alexander