> From: "Lucas Rijnders" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2006/03/17 Fri AM 09:40:38 GMT
> To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
> Subject: Re: OT - So quiet in here
>
> Op Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:06:00 +0100 schreef mike wilson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >> One other thing I notice: Old prints (say, beginning 20th century) often
> >> do not have a full tonal range: There's black and dark grey, and a lot
> >> of
> >> white. The middle to light grays seem to have bleached away. I think
> >> this
> >> is an ageing effect. You could mimick that to make photo's look 'old and
> >> worn'.
>
> > Not only an ageing effect.  It was quite some time after the development
> > of easy access photography before film was developed that reacted
> > equally to all wavelengths of light.  Part of the pleasure of
> > interpreting old photographs is working out what is missing.
>
> The prints I was thinking of are of ships on a sunny day on a river, and
> all the blue (sky, river, say 90% of the frame :o) is almost white. I
> think that makes sense, or should it be just the other way around?
> It is a pity, though. The ship belonged to my wife's grantparents, and her
> family would appreciate 'better' copies. The prints are tiny. I tried to
> scan, clean up and enlarge them, but I think there's just too little
> information to work with... Even blowing up 'as-is' did not yield useable
> results.
>
> Along these lines: we strongly believe a dutch museum has 'glass
> negatives' of the ship. Would that be worth pursueing? Can these negatives
> still be printed (or scanned)? What size would a 'glass negative' have? As
> they probably aren't "easy access photography": would these negatives have
> the same tonality problems?

The negatives could be any size up to about an A3 sheet of paper.  Most likely
size would be around A5.  They can still be scanned or printed but would
probably have to be done professionally (in this case, the profession having
more to do with preservation than photography) so could be expensive.  They
will have tonality "problems" - but they will also have colour "problems". 8-)
None of the above would discourage me from trying to get the work done if it
was my ancestors. YMMV.

> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Regards, Lucas