the built-in flash can only be used as manual only (no TTL), unless
one is shooting in one of the "smiley face" modes -- WTF?!

If the DL is like my DS, the built-in flash doesn't do TTL at all. It will only do P-TTL, and only when a sufficiently automatic lens is attached (AF minimum IIRC). I know I've used P mode with the kit lens.

I've never used any of the modes besides P/Tv/Av/M/B. I also shoot RAW so white balance isn't a necessary operation.

why shouldn't i be able to use TTL *together* with custom white balance
and exposure compensation? what moron designed that? my minolta
a2 digicam seems to be more photographer friendly...
What? I have just tried Dl and it works perfectly in P-TTL on other then smiley modes (Av, Tv, M) - white balance and exposure compensation works then too.

-Cory