On 3/26/06 4:57 PM, "Bruce Dayton", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Somehow, I get the feeling that some, myself included in the past,
> didn't ever do the darkroom part.  So they just shot the film and let
> the lab do the remaining part of the work flow.  At my lab, that is
> still available in digital, if you want to pay for it.  Basically I
> can take my jpgs in just like they were film and they will correct and
> print them, just like film.

Let me chime in.

1. As one becomes experienced in photography (and I am still talking about
the amateur enthusiasts in general), above may not be quite so.  Many of
average shooters, experienced or inexperienced, shoot what is termed here
the "snap shots" for the family or travel record etc, then go to labs (or
one hour photo etc) and get the prints back.  That was good enough and still
so.  Most lab do pretty good jobs in this regard.  Problem is that when you
chose particular effects when took a shot, but a lab just averages it out to
make it into an ordinary photo as the hobbyist shooter has no control over
the development phase of the process.  This is particularly true for colour
negative.  If you wish to develop a shot captured as a silhouette for
example, you should work with a lab who takes your instruction but
commercial "snap lab" won't to do it.  Nevertheless, to the most amateur
enthusiasts, they do not take up the chemical process part as a hobby.  This
is an individual choice.

2. Fast forward to digital era, I have a feeling that what people talking
about here as "art" is mostly the post-processing work flow, particularly
the PS manipulation.  I am not sure if this is truly the "art' part.  Most
people do this to condition the shots for viewing or printing.  Not many
even print many these days.  I guess more than half or more shots would be
just stored after viewing.  Very easy to hide the "culls".    I still
consider that the photographs should be enjoyed and viewed in print as a
final form.    Sometimes, it is almost ridiculous to jump up and down on
discovering some minute fault (slight CA, purple fringing or slight banding
etc) which you never see in even A3 size print just because you could see
them in 1:1 or sometimes even 1:2 pixel peeping which you never did in the
film era.  Sure we want to enlarge some shots beyond A3 size but we
carefully choose those and take time to process them.  Now the digital
enabled something not many people could dream of in the past, such as
picking what one considers good, post-process them and print large etc.  But
when people refer to post-processing, they normally mean fairly basic
manipulations, barely touching the true capability (and the original
intention) of PS.
Digital enthusiasts shoot raw like machine gun (well, not quite but you know
what I mean) without much regard to the ambient light etc (AWB) , as they
(we) determined that those could (and should) be processed later on
computer.  There lies some grief by film enthusiasts (or traditionalist, I
should say).  Craft of taking good photos are now transferred to the
mechanical post-processing in what is called the work flow.  Now people call
it the "art".  Perhaps, but I have to wonder how much creativity is included
in that (in general terms).  PS allows real creative manipulation of the
photo but how many people are doing it, using the real capability of the PS?
Most are just scratching the surface of the software.

3. I have been using the PS since version 3 (which I believe was more than
10 years ago), but those days, it was not really for the true photo
processing in today's sense.  I sort of picked it up a separate hobby,
manipulating various scanned images etc.  I am no artist but I thought I
experimented far more than just "post-processing".   I used those
manipulated images for the business presentation documents and web creation
etc.  Then the digital camera tide suddenly swelled and particularly with
the popularity of DSLRs, the PS skill almost became mandatory.  But it is
like shifting the photo skill part from the moment of pressing the shutter
(i.e., dialing in several parameters to get the desired effects) to the
computer keys.  This is quite fine and it is actually very convenient.  But
some people started doubting if that's really what they wanted.  In Japan
(not that Japan is any special, but simply because I watch more posts in
Japan), this trend (coming back to film) is also a big tide.  I cannot
quantify it but there seem to be more and more of those people and even the
resurgence of film is being talked about in some quarters (Fuji are
officially forecasting this and it may not be just a commercial wishful
thinking).  People who desire this are almost without exception the most
experienced group of people.  I do not know how people who just jumped in
the digital photography without the long experience in film photography are
even aware of the things go into prior to pressing the shutter (knowledge of
which are very useful in post processing anyway).
There is indeed the joy of using your tool to "create" good photos being
taken away by the digital process, and perhaps that's what the experienced
people are feeling.

4. And then, there is an aspect of "pride of ownership" of fine photographic
instruments or tools (you could call it a gadget factor :-).  Today's
digicams, particularly DSLRs are like computers in early '90s.  You know
that the moment you purchased a model, it is going to become obsolete in a
very short time, even 6 months, so the manufacturers keep pumping out
expensive toys using cheap materials, whereas the film cameras are matured
technology and once you bought a decent one (and at some $500 to $1,000), it
will last almost a lifetime.  Unlike digicams, all film cameras produce the
same decent images in the hand of the experienced as much depends on which
film is used.

I can go on and on like this and know I have not even touched more critical
points (which I usually remember AFTER posting :-).

I just thought that, after the original post of this thread, suddenly people
all became self-acclaimed artists of some kind (I respect many are),
promoting as if the post processing is the sophisticated art.  I believe
there is an increasing group of appreciating the old craft, and make a
pause.
I am not saying that those people suddenly are dropping the digital
photography.  They are not.  But some people are increasingly beginning to
pick up more film photography as they used to.  They know the advantage of
both digital and film photography (I know it cots more if we keep shuttering
away like we do with digicams).  We'll see.

Duck and hide!

Ken