To keep this on topic, slides where taken with a Pentax 67 and 105/2.4.
Literally, my first roll with the 67! I REALLY like the size of the
transparencies!

Now that this is out of the way, I have a question about how to apply
filters
in Photoshop 5.5 (on a PC).

If I scan with the Agfa Duoscan T1200, I can produce TIFF files with more
than 8 bit
per channel, but when imported in Photoshop, all the filters are grayed out.

Only when using 8bits/channel can I apply filters. I would very much like to
scan with the maximum resolution and color depth.

Right now, I am testing the waters with Photoshop for the manipulations I
will
need to do( cleaning up the dust, and panorama stitching), and would like to
get a pro-lab to do the final scans, but what would be the point of getting
potentially more expensive scans done if I have to lose bits right away in
order to manipulate the pictures?

Am I missing something completely here?

And lastly, has anyone used the PanoTools plugin to do stitching? Is there
anything easier and more effective to use?

Thanks

Michel