Michel Adam asked:

> Now that this is out of the way, I have a question about
> how to apply filters in Photoshop 5.5 (on a PC).
>
> If I scan with the Agfa Duoscan T1200, I can produce TIFF
> files with more than 8 bit per channel, but when imported
> in Photoshop, all the filters are grayed out.

Support for more than eight bits per channel is only partially
implemented in Photoshop.  The first release to offer any kind of
16-bit support had very limited abilities - pretty much scan & crop.
More support is added at each subsequent release.  Version 5.5 lets
you use some of the image adjustment and conversion tools, and quite
a few of the third-party plugins offer some sort of extended support.

Photoshop 6.0 adds 16-bit support for quite a few filters, including
Blur, Unsharp Mask, and Dust & Scratches.

--
John Francis  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (650) 429-4427
MyWay.com       444 Castro St.  Suite 101,    Mt. View,   CA  94041

Hello.  My name is Darth Vader.  I am your Father.  Prepare to die.