I will second Mark's recommendation with the addition that most public libraries have a fairly large section on art. Look at the works of the so called old masters, there is a reason they are called that, one can learn a lot about what makes a strong picture from this exercise.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Mark Roberts wrote:
There have been some good suggestions so far but I'll add one of my
own anyway. Go to art museums and spend time looking at art. Not just
photography, though that's certainly useful, but painting as well.
Decide what stuff you really like. THEN... spend some time working
out, as best you can, *why* you like what you like.