I think you may be onto something here.  I don't do a lot of flash
photography, and when I am using flash it's still my old AF500FTZ.
But I always used to wonder about these complaints; I've never
considered the combination to be unreliable.

But now, on reading your post, I'm reminded that I did once run into
a problem with the flash behaving somewhat erratically.  All I did
then, though, was to take the flash off, clean the contacts, and
put it back on the camera (making sure it was clamped on tightly).
That was it - just one occasion.  But since then I am very careful
to make sure the flash is well seated.