On Apr 2, 2006, at 11:42 PM, David Oswald wrote:

Thanks for your remarks Godfrey; always informative. I think I'll start working toward getting the DA14/2.8 and eventually a DA70/2.4Ltd (when available). The latter sounds absolutely ideal. Where does it fall on the roadmap?

The DA70/2.4 Limited looks to be targeted for around Fall 2006, I would assume Photokina or a little after, same as the 10Mpxel body.

A couple people have mentioned that I ought to just get my use out of the 16-45. It has been a great lens for me, and I never feel that it's producing inadequate results.

I didn't like the handling either. The FA20-35 feels like you're using a prime, that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

I just happen to actually *enjoy* shooting with non-zoom lenses more, for some reason. I've never been able to quite put my finger on the reason. I think that by picking a focal length and sticking with it for awhile helps me to see potential shots in terms of that focal length before I bring the camera up to my eye, and that helps me to achieve more meaningful composition.

It's often simply a matter of discipline. I often set the 20-35 on 28mm and leave it there, focus manually by zone/DoF, it keeps me in the prime frame of mind.

By the way, my *least* used lens, since acquiring the *ist-DS is the 80-320. I almost sold it a couple times, but stopped myself when I saw how cheap they go for on eBay; not even worth bothering to sell. So I hang onto it for the one or two times a year where it proves to be the right choice of equipment.

Yeah, sounds like the F100-300 I bought for $85. It works to well to just toss, but I use it so seldom I'm glad I didn't pay more for it. I rarely use much longer than the 135mm with the DS, and that only once in a bit.

Godfrey