Marcus. I did read your post. Don't worry, this is not a "crappy lens..."
this is something different. It's a spin off idea.

You say you strongly dislike this photoshoping. That's strong words, I'll
give you credit for that ;-)

I assume you dislike it out of ethical reasons.
I should confess; I have mixed emotions towards it myself. Generally
speaking I am against heavy manipulations. I do like the idea of being true
to the original capture. The problem is where to draw the line. I may have
crossed it here, I really don't know. Partly that's why I did this. I think
it is kind of silly to reject something you don't know. I needed to
experiment a bit to explore the possibilities.

I have to debate a bit with myself what image to use in the bird project.
Right now the purist in me says "this is a deceiving lie". And, the less
conservative part of me says "this is not really a manipulation, it is the
same spot, same background, nearly the same time, and all I really did was
to change the position of the head".
I may also end up rejecting both versions...

But, I did not do this to start a list debate on the ethics. I simply needed
to see what could be done, and the effect of the final image. To see, if the
changes gave it more impact.
On this, I have made up my mind. I now know what composition I will make,
_if_ I go back and redo the shot.
While writing this, I also believe I have made up my mind about the ethics.
So this rant post has had it's purpose ;-)

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)