This is not a copyright issue. It would be considered a commercial (even if the t-shirt was a one off) use of someone's image without permission. This is a clear case where a model release would be needed to legally use the photo that way. The only possible way around a release is if the persons were famous and the image was clearly a political comment about them --then it would be a case for the courts to decide.

And unless he has decamped Jerome is in the US.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

John Francis wrote:
There's no such thing as "the" copyright.   You own "a" copyright
in the image, based on the fact that you took it.  But it's quite
possible for other people to have copyright interests in the shot
(as, for example, if it is a photograph of a copyrighted subject).
Plus, as you note, there's more than simply copyright involved.