On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:38:46 +0100, Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 4/4/06, Francis, discombobulated, unleashed:

I got my DS yesterday (Zawee is it ever cool) and I'm noticing that my
K200mm F2.5 seems to have some kind of a problem. Most (but not all) of
the photos taken with it  have an absurd amount of pink CA (and putting
a TC on it makes it much worse). When I look at the red channel in PS it
looks just like it was taken with a soft focus lens. The other channels
look fine. What could be causing this? Sometimes, when I gently shake
the lens, it sounds like there is a slightly loose element that is
rattling back and forth. Is it possible that that is the cause of this
malfunction? Do you think it would be a dumb idea for me to try taking
it apart and seeing if I can snug that element in somehow? (In the last
few days it also hasn't been focusing all the way to infinity so I'm
going to have to investigate that to.)

I would be more than grateful for any clues about this.

Sounds to me like something is not right, especially if the infinity
focus is off. Have you tested this across at least two different bodies
to make sure it's not the body?

My first reaction to you taking the lens apart yourself is don't. Your
questions reveal your abilities at lens repair, and I would advise you
practise on a dead lens before attempting you 200 2.5.

Strongly suggest let someone fix it who knows what they are doing :-)

I second that. I've taken three lenses apart, and put none back together. Fortunately, they weren't expensive lenses.

John